UH Research Professor of Sequence Stratigraphy
Professor, School of Geography & Earth Science, McMaster University, Canada
Ph.D. 1989 McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
B.Sc. 1981 Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada
Phone: (713) 893-1290
Google Scholar Profile
My general research program is mostly focused on investigating the sequence stratigraphy and 3D facies architecture of shallow marine, paralic, and fluvial depositional systems. Although much industry exploration effort is currently focused on deepwater depositional systems, about 50% of global oil production is currently from shallow marine, paralic and fluvial strata. Despite the continued importance of these reservoir types, ours is one of the only research programs devoted to this important area.
I am also investigating the interrelationships between structure and stratigraphy as a paired process. Specific projects are aimed at examining the effects of meso-scale tectonic structure on high-frequency sequence stratigraphic architecture in foreland basins and the relationship between sedimentation processes and formation of growth faults associated with deltaic depositional systems.
My research program is founded on the fundamentals of sedimentology, fieldwork, facies analysis, and sequence stratigraphy. Our program also crosses the boundaries between geophysics and engineering disciplines and provides an important environment for teamwork and integration that we believe provides a model for industry.
Quantitative Sedimentology Home Page
Currently I teach the following courses:
- Sequence Stratigraphy (GEOL 6380) - Graduate course in sequence stratigraphy, including historical overview, seismic stratigraphy and application to outcrop, core and well logs.
- Rivers and Deltas (GEOL 6397), Examination of modern processes and translation into ancient counterparts of river and delta deposits. The emphasis of the course is on reading the primary literature on rivers and deltas, as well as course lectures and writing assignments.
- Introduction to Petroleum Geology (GEOL 4382) - Fundamentals of petroleum geology; source rock, reservoir, and trap studies. Practical exploration methods such as subsurface stratigraphy and mapping.
- Principles of Stratigraphy (GEOL 3550) This course provides an overview of the fields of sedimentology and stratigraphy.
I also teach short courses in rivers, deltas, sequence stratigraphy and petroleum geology. My UH courses can be accessed through VNET.
- Bhattacharya, J.P., 2006, Deltas, In: Walker, R.G., and Posamentier, H., (eds.) Facies Models revisited, SEPM Special Publication, v. 84, p.237-292.
- Vakarelov, B., Bhattacharya, J.P., and Nebrigic, D., 2006, The Importance of High-Frequency Tectonic Sequences during Greenhouse Times of Earth History, Geology, v. 34; p. 797-800; doi: 10.1130/G22348.1
- Giosan, L. and Bhattacharya, J.P., 2005, New Directions in Delta Research. In: Giosan, L., and Bhattacharya, J.P., (eds.). River Deltas: Concepts, Models and Examples, SEPM Special Publication, v. 83, p.3-10.
- Olariu, C., and Bhattacharya, J.P., 2006, Terminal Distributary Channels and Delta Front Architecture of River-dominated delta systems. Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 76, p.212-233, Perspectives, DOI:10.2110/jsr.2006.026
- Lee, K., Zeng, X, McMechan, G.A., Howell Jr., C.D., Bhattacharya, J.P., Marcy, F., Olariu, C., 2005, A GPR survey of a delta-front reservoir analog in the Wall Creek Member, Frontier Formation, Wyoming. AAPG Bulletin, V. 89, No. 9 P. 1139-1155, DOI:10.1306/042705040106.
- Gani, M.R. and Bhattacharya, J.P., 2005, Bedding correlation vs, facies correlation in deltas: Lessons for Quaternary stratigraphy, In: Giosan, L., and Bhattacharya, J.P., (eds.). River Deltas: Concepts, Models and Examples, SEPM Special Publication v. 83, p. 31-48.
- Bhattacharya, J. P., Payenberg, T.H.D., Lang, S.C. and Bourke, M., 2005, Dynamic river channels suggest a long-lived Noachian crater lake on Mars. Geophysical Research Letters, .V. 32, L10201, doi:10.1029/2005GL022747.
- Giosan, L, Donnelly J.P., Vespremeanu, E., Bhattacharya, J.P., Olariu, C., Buonaiuto, F.S., 2005, River delta morphodynamics: Examples from Danube delta. In: Giosan, L., and Bhattacharya, J.P., (eds.). River Deltas: Concepts, Models and Examples, SEPM Special Publication, v. 83, p. 393-411.
- White, C. D., B. J. Willis, S. P. Dutton, J. P. Bhattacharya, and K. Narayanan, 2004, Sedimentology, statistics, and flow behavior for a tide-influenced deltaic sandstone, Frontier Formation, Wyoming, United States, in: In: G.M. Grammer and P.M. Harris, and G.P. Eberli (eds.) Integration of outcrop and modern analogs in reservoir modeling: AAPG Memoir 80, p. 129 - 152.
- MacEachern, J., Bann, K., Bhattacharya, J.P., and Howell, C.D., 2005, Ichnology of Deltas. In: Giosan, L., and Bhattacharya, J.P., (eds.). River Deltas: Concepts, Models and Examples, SEPM Special Publication, v. 83, p. 49-85.
- Giosan, L. and Bhattacharya, J.P., (editors), 2005, River Deltas: Concepts, Models and Examples, SEPM Special Publication, v.83, 502p.
- Bhattacharya, J.P., and Tye, R.S., 2004, Searching for Modern Ferron Analogs and Application to Subsurface Interpretation, in T. C. Chidsey, Jr., R. D. Adams, and T. H. Morris, eds., The fluvial-deltaic Ferron Sandstone: regional to wellbore-scale outcrop analog studies and application to reservoir modeling. AAPG Studies in Geology 50, p.39-57.
- Bhattacharya, J.P., and Davies, R.K., 2004, Sedimentology and structure of growth faults at the base of the Ferron Member along Muddy Creek, Utah, In: T.C. Chidsey, R.D. Adams, and T.H. Morris (eds.) The Fluvial-deltaic Ferron Sandstone: Regional-to-Wellbore-scale outcrop analog studies and applications to reservoir modeling, AAPG Studies in Geology 50. P. 279-304.
- Corbeanu, R.M., Wizevich, M.C., Bhattacharya, J.P., Zeng, X., and McMechan, G.A., 2004, Three-dimensional architecture of ancient lower delta-plain point bars using ground penetrating-radar, Cretaceous Ferron Sandstone, Utah, In: T.C. Chidsey, R.D. Adams, and T.H. Morris (eds.) The Fluvial-deltaic Ferron Sandstone: Regional-to-Wellbore-scale outcrop analog studies and applications to reservoir modeling, AAPG Studies in Geology 50, p.427-449.
- Bhattacharya, J.P., and Giosan, L., 2003, Wave-influenced deltas: geomorphological implications for facies reconstruction. Sedimentology, v. 50. p.187-210.
- Bhattacharya, J.P., 2003, Deltas and Estuaries, In: Middleton G.V. (editor) Encyclopedia of Sedimentology, Kluwer Academic, p.145-152.
- Bhattacharya, J.P., and Davies, R.K., 2001, Growth faults at the prodelta to delta front transition, Cretaceous Ferron Sandstone, Utah. Marine and Petroleum Geology. V. 18, p. 525-534.
- Bhattacharya, J.P., and Willis, B.J., 2001, Lowstand Deltas in the Frontier Formation, Powder River Basin, Wyoming: Implications for sequence stratigraphic models, U.S.A., AAPG Bulletin, v. 85, p.261-294.